Last item for navigation
Work Permits

Only current students of Southwest High will be able to obtain a Work Permit on site at this time (only during the school year - no summer hours). Please schedule an appointment ahead of time with Career Center Coordinator, Melissa Larson Hovanick. See below for required documents to bring with you.
The Brown County WI Clerk Office (305 E Walnut St. #120) is also issuing work permits. Any students not currently enrolled at Southwest will need to obtain one here. They are allowing walk-ins. See below for required documents to bring with you.
click here to view the Department of Workforce Development Website
Note: There are limitations on how many hours 14 & 15 year old employees can work per day and week - see those here

Required Documents

1. Evidence of minor’s age - state ID or birth certificate or baptismal certificate

2. Signed letter from the employer on business letterhead stating the intent to hire the minor, the job hired for, job duties, and hours of work

3. Consent from the minor’s parent/legal guardian to obtain employment & Work Permit - can either sign the letter from employer as well or write/type own letter and sign it

4. Social Security Card (actual)

5. $10 permit fee to be reimbursed by the employer no later than the first paycheck. Can pay with cash (please have exactly $10 as we typically do not have change) or check (written to GBAPS)

To obtain a work permit outside of school hours, please visit the Brown County Clerk’s Office.

Northern Building

1st Floor, Room 120

305 E. Walnut St.

P.O. Box 23600

Green Bay, WI 54301


Recent changes to the Child Labor Laws.

1. Sixteen and seventeen-year-old minors are no longer required to obtain a work permit.  Minors 15 years old and younger still need a work permit.

2. Assembly Bill 326 (effective March 30, 2018) will allow minors as young as 15 to be employed as lifeguards as long as they have successfully completed a life-saving course and as long as an adult employee is on premises at times when the 15-year-old is on duty

3. 2017 Wis. Act 168 provides that minors of any age may work under the direct supervision of their parents or legal guardians in connection to the parent's business, trade, or profession.  No work permit is required. This means that if a child is going to work for his/her parents a work permit no longer required. 

For more information from the Brown County Clerk's Office and The WI Department of Workforce Development (DWD) Click Here  

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.